Tuesday 29 March 2011

forever in my heart.

When I come to the end of the road
And the sun has set for me,
I want no tears in a gloom-filled room,
Why cry for a soul set free?
Miss me a little – But not for long
And not with your head bowed low,
Remember the love that we once shared,
Miss me – But let me go.
For this is a journey we all must take,
And each must go alone,
It’s all a part of the Master’s plan
A step on the road to home.
When you are lonely and sick of heart
Go to your friends that we know,
And bury your sorrows in doing good works,
Miss me – But let me go.

My dad read this for my Grandads funeral, and its been stuck in my head all day, so I thought I'd right a little about him;

Grandad, you were an extremely special person to me. Knowing you were just a phone call away everyday, whenever I needed cheering up, made me so strong. I couldn't believe when you left us, I couldn't even cry, i just froze, and the person I wanted to phone up to tell me it would all be okay, was no longer there. I can't believe its nearly 3 years! But I'm not going to think of the bad things, I want to write all the happy things.
                            I remember as a child arriving at your house, and you'd run to the door and we'd all jump on you, then you'd make us a drink, and give us a sneaky biscuit without granny knowing :L aww you always made me laugh. And then we'd go into the garden, to the well and feed the fishes. We still do that now, with oliver included, and every time we do it, i think of you, and I smile. Then we'd have our traditional sausage rolls, triangle sandwiches, and lilt, that again still lives on, but it was the best part of the trip! You'd get all grannys teddys down and we'd sit and play with them for ages and you'd make up silly stories and give them funny names, so funny that one time I fell off my chair laughing, and then you got a telling off from granny! You always use to do gardening I remember that as if it was yesterday, i guess thats where i get it from, and you'd help us with the hose, and help me spray tom muahahaha. I have so many pictures, so many amazing memories. Your Glaswegian accent always got me laughing, I could never understand you, with your "wee grandaughter" and stuff!  Sleepovers were the best, you'd bring us up sweets and tell us bedtime stories, and you gave the best goodnight cuddles. You are a huge inspiration to me, and you were such a brave man, living the life that you had to. The one thing that hurt me the most in dads speech, was when he spoke about the time you came over to see oliver when he was born, and you and dad went in the garden, and you told him if you were to die that moment, you'd die the happiest man, because you have everything you want, the greatest family, the greatest friends, and thats all you needed, and it pains me the most was the way you had to die, forgetting everything, because we all knew that was the one thing you dreaded most. In some ways I'm glad you were set free, because you became so unhappy, not knowing any of us, and that was the hardest thing for me, seeing you look at me with a blank expression, the smile you once had gone, but at least up there you'd remember all those happy times. I hope your looking down on us, making sure were all okay, I like to think you are. Everything I do, I do to make you proud, and I hope you would be. A day doesn't go by where I don't think about you or miss you. You were the best grandad any girl could ask for, and I am honoured to be your only one. You will always be in our hearts, gone but never ever forgotten. Love you grandad! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment